Sunday, August 07, 2005

My take on the Birmingham Domed Stadium Issue

As an avid supporter of a domed stadium, I must say that I am appalled
at the progress that this project has made so far. I must ask; What
in the world are our elected officials doing?
A domed stadium should not be funded solely on the backs of citizens.
That will only raise already higher taxes, particularly since our
great County Commission has added an extra tax that does not have a
proven benefit for the quality of education; but I digress.
It takes neither a rocket scientist nor a political pundit to
understand the concept of a private-public relationship. We must
heavily rely on the private sector for financial backing for a domed
stadium.
Having a domed stadium would be beneficial on all levels of government
by increased tourism, which would fill our coffers for better roads, a
stronger police force, and a quality education for our children.
Words cannot express my disgust for our elected officials and their
torpor towards the economic development of this city county and state.
However it would not be surprising to see the dome project receive
support if it was in a location such as Bessemer or Hoover.
We must hold our officials accountable particularly on the city and
county level and fight for transformation of our leadership in the
upcoming elections.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happened to come across your blog and your opinions regarding the potentional dome construction caught my attention. I too hail from the wonderful city of Birmingham, and upon graduating from law school plan to take the offered position and a law firm in the city and do my part to try to make Birmingham into the city that it has the potential to be. The issue regarding the dome has always been a big issue for me. My am friends with Commissioner Larry Langford and have had the opportunity to get his take, and that of many other leaders in our city. My main opposition to it is that we want to focus so much on building the dome while we have so much to accomplish throughout the city with what we already have. Building the dome will take away the historic aspect of one of the city's great centers of football - Legion Field. I do not understand why we cannot invest money into fixing up that stadium, modernizing it, and even making it into a dome stadium. Any additional money that would have been spent on constructing a dome should be used to fix up the neighborhood surrounding Legion Field and especially Parker High School and the other cities in the community that are loosing focus due to such matters. But this is just my opinion. I commend you on your cite. Keep up the good work. You truly have a promising future.