Monday, March 13, 2006

A MAD Democrat

I am appalled at the attempt by the State Democratic Party to prevent Rev. Steve Small from qualifying in the Primary for Jefferson County Commissioner.
As a party loyalist, I support my party in most decisions that it makes however I support this decision as much as I do Satan Himself. This goes against every principle of our party and is embarrassing to say the least.
In 2002, Small waged awrite in campaign against Sheila Smoot. State Party By-laws prohibit people from qualifying for years after not supporting the democratic nominee. Did Mr. Turnham and Mr. Reed forget this when they allowed others to qualify such as Gerald Dial, Hinton Mitchem, Lowell Barron, Fred Horn, Nathan Mathis, Harry Lyons, and Roger Monroe.
This is a public relations nightmare for our party. The party has stepped into a primary and disrupted the democratic process. I wonder if they would be doing this if Smoot were not vulnerable in this election.
I challenge the state party as well as Smoot to have the intestinal fortitude to allow Small to run and allow democracy to thrive within our party.
Today I am ashamed of my party and for the first time embarrassed to say that I am a democrat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I understand the gripe against the process...but c'mon.

Do you want Steve Small to get another handout like he did when Siegelman appointed him to the commision after McNair's vacancy?

I'm glad the party isn't granting him the honor of allowing his candidacy...he belongs in the sewers, just like his scandals with the Cahaba several years back.