Monday, August 07, 2006

What would Jesus do?- He wouldn't pass anti-panhandling laws to punish the poor

John Sugg writes an impressive article in Creative loafing on Poverty and Homelessness in Atlanta. I think Everyone should read it. Tell me what you think.

As I was dashing to downtown's Commerce Club a few weeks ago to meet with people of power, I met a young woman with her own powerful, if sad, message.

"You got some fancy nice shoes," the woman said, pointing at my pretty standard penny loafers, admittedly shined to brilliance. She had a speech impediment, and I'd guess she was retarded. A stoop forced her to spend a lot of her life looking at other people's shoes. I asked her name, and she said something like "Tish," but it was hard to understand.

It was clear that Tish was a street person, and, while waiting for the "Walk" light, I anticipated the pitch for a handout. It didn't come. I bemusedly asked, "Are you going to ask for money?" She shyly replied, "Just lose it if you gave me some."


Click here for the rest of the Article.

No comments: